So you’ve just found out you are going to need a Root Canal Treatment. As with any medical procedure, it’s always a good idea to read all information given to you by your dentist. You should also ask any questions you might have about the procedure ahead of time. This will alleviate any fears you might have about this treatment. Your dentist at Seven Lakes Dental is experienced in root canal procedures and will provide you with excellent care. If you have any concerns, just ask and we will set up a consultation with your dentist to discuss your needs.
What is a Root Canal?
When we say that we need a ‘Root Canal’ we are actually referring to a ‘Root Canal Treatment’. In the center of each tooth is a soft tissue called the pulp. The pulp runs down the center of the roots of your teeth providing nutrients and nerves to them. This area with the pulp in it is called the Root Canal. If you have an injury or deep cavity that exposes the pulp, then bacteria can get inside and the pulp will get infected. This can be very painful and the only way to fix it without losing the tooth or having it extracted is by having a root canal treatment.
What is a Root Canal Treatment?
The purpose of the root canal treatment is to remove the infected tissue. Here is a step-by-step outline of the procedure itself:
- After numbing the tooth, the dentist drills an opening through the crown of the tooth to the pulp chamber.
- The dentist uses special files to remove the unhealthy pulp out of the canals. Then they clean and flush out the canals to remove any debris.
- Then the dentist will seal and fill the canals with a permanent material which helps to keep the canals free of infection or contamination.
- The next step is to place a temporary cap or crown over the top of the tooth while a permanent crown is being made.
- Your dentist may put a post in the root canal to give the crown more support.
- The final touch-The dentist will cement the new crown into place so the tooth looks like your natural tooth.
Most root canal treatments can be avoided with regular checkups and proper daily brushing and flossing. If you have a tooth ache, make sure you schedule an appointment at Seven Lakes Dental in Smokey Point, WA as soon as possible to have one of our top quality dentists take care of the problem before it gets bad enough to need a root canal treatment.