What a great month! Every October, we celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month at Seven Lakes Dental. That means 31 days of raising awareness on the importance of brushing, flossing, and rinsing daily.
Most people are aware that the human mouth is full of harmless bacteria when kept under control with proper dental hygiene. In other words, a happy, healthy mouth doesn’t occur simply by accident. It involves adopting a good routine of oral healthcare!
Need some tips? Here are six super simple steps you can use for National Dental Hygiene Month:
- Brush Your Pearly Whites. Brush your teeth for two minutes at least twice a day and replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months.
- Floss Daily. Use dental floss or another interdental cleaner to remove food debris to prevent plaque buildup.
- Don’t Forget Your Tongue. If left unchecked, food debris and bacteria remaining on the tongue can lead to foul breath and other issues. Use your toothbrush to clean your tongue and keep bad breath in check.
- Say NO to Tobacco. Tobacco use can increase the likelihood of developing periodontal disease, foul breath, stained teeth, loss of taste, and a variety of cancers.
- Eat Healthy Foods. A well-balanced diet and limited snacking, especially on foods high in sugar content, can greatly reduce cavities.
- Visit Your Dentist. Regular checkups enable detection of problems with your oral health that you may not be aware of, including cavities, periodontal disease, and oral cancer. Early detection of such issues promotes healthy mouths, and can save you time, money, and possibly even your life.
Take action now and don’t let your smile become a statistic of inadequate dental care. Contact your Smokey Point dentist, Seven Lakes Dental at (360) 653-5577 and see how we can help keep your mouth healthy, happy, and safe for a lifetime.
We hope you enjoyed National Dental Hygiene Month!