Understandably, oral cancer is something we don’t like to talk about. But, here at Seven Lakes Dental in Marysville, WA we know that educating yourself about this disease is the best way to protect yourself and your family. Take a moment and get the facts about this formidable foe, and what you can do to keep your smile healthy and safe for many years to come.
Oral cancer refers to any cancer that develops in the area of the head and neck, excluding the brain. This can include the lips, tongue, gums, throat, as well as the tissue that lines the entire oral cavity.
The Oral Cancer Foundation reports that:
- Close to 42,000 Americans will be diagnosed this year.
- Over forty percent of those will have succumbed within five years.
The National Cancer Institute states that:
- It is more common in older adults.
- It occurs more commonly in blacks than in whites.
- Men are more likely to get it than women.
Studies reveal that there are habits that can increase your likelihood of developing oral cancer. These habits should certainly be avoided if possible. They include:
- High exposure to sunlight, leading to cancer of the lips
- Tobacco use of any kind, including smokeless and chewing tobacco.
- Heavy use of alcohol.
- The combination of tobacco and alcohol. Statistics from the Oral Cancer Foundation show that those who both smoke and drink have a 15 times greater risk than others.
These are indeed sobering statistics. We are proud to provide your first line of defence against the progression of oral cancer with our high-tech screening procedures.
The survival rates for oral cancer are significantly higher when it has been diagnosed at an early stage. That’s why our screening test is so important— lifesaving in fact. Our high tech procedure utilizes a blue light that exposes any contrasts or abnormalities along your lips, mouth, and throat. It’s quick, completely non-invasive, and can detect the beginning of oral cancer even before you start to show symptoms. Early detection means that treatment can start before it has time to spread which greatly increases the odds of a full recovery.
Being aware is one thing, but taking the appropriate preventive action is another. Join the fight by sharing this blog with your friends and family. A screening for you and your family can save lives. Call now to schedule an appointment for your screening at Seven Lakes Dental, the premier Dentists in Marysville WA!
Are you, a family member, or a friend a cancer survivor? Share with us what helped you to get through it with a positive attitude?